Wednesday, January 04, 2006

06, yo! (who is this man?)



This man, Cam'ron (of the loose rap conflagaration known as "Dipset"), has more influence on my chillun' than I do.

****

Well, it's been a long long time since I posted. A transit strike has come and gone, as has a trip down to Puerto Rico, an actual party attended on New Year's Eve, and believe it or not, a New Year. Being back at school has been entirely anti-climactic. Everyone is sleepy and apathetic. The great attachment I feel for some of my students is balanced by the serious annoyance I feel towards severak others. Both of these strong sentiments are numbed by all of our disaffection towards Lord of the Flies, school in general, and the steady blahs of winter.

*One of the most important things I've discovered is how docile and cooperative my students are in smaller groups. During the transit strike, my students were both sweet ands cooperative-- because there were less than 7 per class. This only reaffirms my deep belief that classes in urban public schools should be SMALLER, not bigger, than private schools.

*My first student is pregnant. I thought that this wouldn't bother me much since so many other girls in the school are pregnant, but in the end I still find it sad and disturbing. This girl is special, too, a musician and free spirit.

Well, that's all for now. Hope that 'o6 is treating my small but loving readership well, and I shall try to update with more frequency.

1 Comments:

Blogger duckie said...

Dude, this blog rocks. I have no idea who this rapper (?) is. We are so out of touch with the youngsters. I bet they really do love your faux hood talk.

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites