Sunday, November 13, 2005

I will not be afraid of women, I will not be afraid of women

The woman I am afraid of right now more than any other is my principal, who is supposedly coming by my room (for realz) tomorrow. I have a cheesy lesson planned on “The Truth” a poem by Gwendolyn Brooks, which I hope to use to activate prior knowledge and segue into the story about the truth by RK Naryan and blah blah blah (all week long I’m going to do thematically linked poems and stories to get them ready for midterms, etc).
How do I feel? Less nervous than I did before the last observation which never happened, although slightly nervous because while the class she’s visiting is my brightest and closest, they are also the most volataile and protective of the privacy of the classroom environment.

I tried calling my naughty children's homes, and almost all the numbers were disconnected...

I spent the three-day weekend at Alma Mater—it was fun to hang out with a witty group of peers who respect and love me, not to mention my beloved boyfriend. It made it hard, as always, to return to the gritty everydayness of my dingy urban HS, and it made me determined to engineer a future that’s both fulfilling for ME and enables me to reach out to other people (in other words, not teaching at a dingy urban HS). But it also gave me perspective and pride: college life is so insular and protected, like a nest all its own, and anyone who’s just left that nest will miss it, but will probably find that they can’t return anymore, for they simply don’t fit ; )

Things to look forward to besides seeing my angels are the holy day when I get electricity in my room and I can play movies, seeing Harry Potter on Friday night, seeing pride and prejudice eventually, the chronicles of narnia, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring break, umm... summer vacation, and the beginning of speculation for the 2008 presidential election. Ummm, also my wedding, which will definitely happen within ten years (or at least, we'll be able to afford a cubic zirconia by then)

Getting off topic.... must go write worksheets for freshmen/women. Wish me luck, readers (all two of you).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites