Monday, October 24, 2005

Manic Monday, part 6

Thus passes my sith new week at Truman... as Mondays go, this one was tolerable. This last weekend, in Boston, I had the most fun weekend I've had so far this year without it being a "get me the fuck out of my life" kind of weekend-- I was happy to celebrate a decent week and a series of relationships with kids that, if not perfect, are growing. One of my kids told me he went onto a website and voted me favorite teacher-- and he wrote "Ms. Seltzer rules" on my board. Another girl comes in writes "Be Good" on my board every day (and then proceeds to ignore me when I tell her to be quiet, but still). I do feel that a lot of them care for me in a really perverse, parent-do-you-love-me-despite-my-misbehavior way. One of my students always stays late after fourth period to chat with me, one of my girls has cleaned my room and straightened my desk during my free time, several of them have organized and cleaned stuff for me, and many have told me mine is the only class they bother with. So on days like today, when the pace of work laggs and hte conversation tends towards Cam'ron instead of commas, I have to forgive them and myself, and rev up for a better, more interesting day tomorrow.

I have a tough week ahead-- parent conferences, phone calls, my observation with the principal. But in the end, I will breathe easily on Saturday knowing that the worst part of the year is over, no matter what I'm told (and what I decide!!!)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites