Tuesday, September 27, 2005

TRUE-sday

Today was another inch up the latter of tolerableness, which probably means that tomorrow will once again begin the spiral towards disaster. My kids were so damn good today-- I had them read Sylvia PLath's "metaphors" as a way of understanding the concept of metaphor. In the poem, she lists nine metaphors for pregnancy, but never explicitly says she is pregnant. I tried to teach it when I auditioned for wilderness leadership stuff at college, and the ivy-leaguers whom I was attempting to imbue with its marvels were too daft to get it. But my kids were really into it, and they understood it. Some of them did excellent work and showed a real comprehension of the poem. The next activity was writing a dialogue between the protagonist of Guy de Maupaussant's "the necklace" and her husband, which they did very successfully as well. They were even rather funny. My "stickers" tactic has worked very nicely. However, they still have problems listneing and following specific directions, and I lack the energy to force it on them.

My frosh are a completely different story. They are OUT of control, physicaly and intellectually. I think they are way behind their grade level and have little ability to be thoughtful in any kind of way. The boys are having a really hard time controlling their bodies and I had to call the dean on two of them, which was depressing. I think I'm going to scrap the curriculum and have them do worksheets and graphic organizers for two weeks until they learn to respect themselves and their work.

Today after work, one of my colleagues met with a student and parent. During the meeting, our AP, whom she'd asked to sit in for support, told the student to come to him if she ever felt like something was unfair in the classroom. She freaked out and almost quit on the spot. I wanted to cry too. Our good days are invalidated by veterans who tell us it will get worse, our good ideas are dismissed, our good intentions are never applauded. I never believed that teachers of all people could be treated so absolutely shittily.

But I will take the better moments from today, the smiles and the victories, the calmness and the encouragement, and muscle on through the last few days before the jewish holidays save my ass.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites