Monday, July 25, 2005

On we march

At last, the end of this bootcampy summer is in sight. Knowing that there are only two more weeks left is NOT making it any easier. Instead, it's making our experience feel just like a gauntlet we have to run.
Today at last I feel like I connected with some of my kids over poetry. I think some of them might actually like me--or at least not hate me. Some of them were amazed that I knew anything about hip-hop at all; one in particular, who is one of those teacher's best friend/worst enemy types (he might have ADHD) was amazed that I knew anything at all about "his" culture-- in fact, popular hip-hop has become a commodified, global culture but that's another story. He is a prime example of someone who uses his status as a member or a margainalized/oppressed social group to hold himself back. He has so many demons so very very visible. I really want to sit down and have a heart to heart with him but I'm a little scared of him too. Anyhow, good day today might be followed by a bad day tomorrow, but at least I have something to sustain me.

adieu!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites