Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Troubles

Yesterday was an amazing day in the classroom. After an unsettled first class, Mr. N. and I really had our second period students sitting quietly and paying attention. We were teaching them the editing tools.
I had about 2/3 of their names memorized, and felt like I had an individual rapport with more than half of the students in the class already. I had a core group of them calling me "Ms. S" instead of "Miss" and even though the lesson was dry and might not have made a huge impact, I felt truly triumphant and praised them at the end of class.
Today I walked in to discover that my class had completely switched, and I had to spend an hour and a half handing out new programs in the auditorium. I ran into a few of my students who greeted me with an eager "Hey Miss S" and when I told them I wasn't their teacher anymore, one said, "Oh no... you the best." A teeny tiny triumph mixed with the most intense defeat I've felt since this program started. How can we keep going when every small victory is undermined by bureauocracy. But even worse, how about the fact that the students had built up a relationship with Me, Mr. N and Mr. K... and saw three more adults walk out of their lives for no good reason?
My class today was bigger, rowdier, and less sweet than yesterday's. Although I made some headway with one or two students, I was tired and frustrated. I hope I can bring some fresh optimism into school tomorrow. I understand how deep I'm going to have to dig for positivity as this experience goes on.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites