Wednesday, November 02, 2005

All Saints Day

This week has defintely been rougher one. It started with a tale of two halloweens. we spent the weekend reading email after email with the subject "NO PARTIES!!!" Whilem onday morning, we were greeted by egg-fearing teachers in sweats and a rather somber memo from the head of security asking us to go "trick or treating"--- i.e. patrolling the halls for naughty girls and boys. My classes were tiny but absolutely disruptive. I read them some urban legends which they found creepy as all hell (the less bright group) and sorta lame (they'd seen it all in horror movies). In response to a "fun patrol" I saw during 5th period, which consisted of the principal and AP wandering around to make sure no classes were actually having fun, I spent a lare chunk of my 6/7 block throwing candy at my kids for correctly answering hip-hop trivia. It was an afternoon none of us will forget.
It was a huge contrast to the administration-approved merriment that we had at my preppy high school across the bronx...
To me, on Halloween, my (current) school was a truly haunted house. Haunted by repression, rebellion, confusion and resentment:




The day after halloween was particularly rough, but now there's only two days to go, and I have become a worksheet-manufacturing MACHINE. And so, another blog entry that was supposed to be deep fades into the triteness of cartoon images and glib statements. Adieu.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites