Sunday, November 20, 2005

SUNDAY NIGHT SUX (yo)

My week ended with a big down-up swoop. First, I heard that I was supposed to have ANOTHER post-op, this time with the principal, to re-discuss the boringness of my lesson. I had the pleasure of expecting said meeting (or "shitting-on" as I phrased it in my interior monologue) for days on end before I realized it just wasn't happening. I mean, it might happen this week... but hey, boss-lady, I don't really remember much about the lesson anyway. I'VE BLOCKED IT OUT BECAUSE IT WAS TRAUMATIZING. Also, my kids told me that you smell. So take that!

Anyhooch, now that my red-hot hatred of the administration has simmered to a cool disdain, I can relate the other highlights of a week serving the high aspirations and intellectual goals of the Board of Ed. on Monday afternoon, the entire staff was treated to staff development"-- which taught us about the workshop method, or the talk, groupwork, recap formula that teaches our kids to learn from each other (and not themselves). This workshop consisted of WATCHING, for thirty minutes, a science lab class that utilzed said method (like all science classes do). At the end of this waste of time, we had to fill out a "graphic-organizer" evaluation asking what i learned and what i still wanted to learn. Unlike everyone else, I injected humor into mine, saying that what I had learned from this inspiring hour was that "igneous rocks RULE!"
No one to whom I told my tale was amused.

Later in the week, I did show the movie Pleasantville to my students and inspire art projects from them, which was pleasant enough-- they "got" the movie and gave it their rapt attention and it was a great relief to all of us. Tomorrow we're going to learn about "visual metaphors" and Tuesday and Wednesday I administer stupid midterms. So here we go-- the road to Thanksgiving.

Incidentally, I got some much needed pampering this weekend, as my writerly boyfriend got a free hotel room for a press junket he was attending. I also viewed both harry potter IV and the chronicles of narnia-- pure escapism that, along with the change in scene (and the king-size bed, mmm) made the weekend much longer and more relaxing than usual.

So let's hope the next three days go at a relatively relaxing pace. Amen, so be it, as old Stephen Daedalus would say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites