Tuesday, November 22, 2005

SUPER (intendent) WOMAN IS BACK

Today the superintendent of the region (or the district or some shit) was back, blowing in on the heels of a mighty November hurricane. I think, ladies and gents who faithfully read me, that we've at long last left autumn behind, and the blustery winds and freezing rain of this Thanksgiving week marks the beginning of, to quote angsty nymphomaniac Jew Adam f. Duritz, "A long december." But I'd like to also say that "there's reason to believe/maybe this year will be better than the last"-- I can honestly say that I feel there's nowhere to go but up.
But back to the matter at hand-- the anxiety in the school was palpable, and I almost felt like the kids were acting up because of it... my AP almost blew my head off at the beginning of 3rd period because one kid walked into class in his winter hat. "This kid could fail us," he shouted. I almost slapped him, but instead took out my anxiety on my kids, who grooved to instrumental hip-hop while they composed brilliant essays. Every time they started getting chatty, I turned down the volume. As a result, they were fantastic-- until the last five minutes of class, when backpacks hoisted, pens abandoned, they cornered me at the door.
I had a confrontation with one of my "children" who stole the bathroom pass from me after shouting "fuck the rules" at me several times. I realized it was he'd been raising his hand, I'd been focused elsewhere, and he thought I didn't like him anymore. After I recovered the pass thanks to a security officer, I basically ranted about how much I hated the rules too. i told him I thought it was brave of him to come to school everyday and putup with all the shit that the school foists on its students. I think he got it. Also, I swore repeatedly in front of him. It was cathartic.
That's all for now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites