Sunday, August 27, 2006

back from canada...














T






























There's nothing worse, methinks, than returning from a vacation somewhere wild and infinitely gorgeous, to New York on a rainy sunday. New York has a beauty all its own, of course, and it's my home and I adore it. But when it rains, and one has just returned from a place where the rain would make everything soft and misty and enchanted, to a place where rain is dreary and washes garbage down the street... well. You see what I mean.

Canada was excellent. From the gentle curves of Prince Edward Island, to the treeless, angry red cliffs and turbulent seas of the North Atlantic hittng the Isles Madeleine, all was frais and belle: beaches woods, and amazing seafood. Being in Francopone Canada was bizarre and amusing; ah, for those quebecois accents and the outpost of real culture in the wild.

And lastly, visiting Green Gables, tourist trap though its become, inspired my entire family to reread the place's namesake book and to my annoyance/secret pleasure, nickname me "Anne" when I get too chatty. It's inspired me to re-read the series literally for the fifth or sixth time if not more, which is saying a lot considering that it's eight books long and I've jist finished two. But and every word, every scene, is like an old friend. So having Anne with me has eased my return to urban life, and coming home to my wonderful amie and the excitement of moving and starting anew is also a plaisir. Adieu, readers.

The sentimental,

F.E.

les photos....the sea in its infinite moods...

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As I explained to Fellow-ette in a soul-revealing Gmail chat, I once used "Anne of Green Gables" to pick up girls in my 6th grade English class. (Mrs. Witkin, represent) While that endeavor didn't work out so well, I did have the chance to be introduced to a classic of, uh, Canadian literature. Talkative Anne became a main character in a play I wrote later that year, and I have fairly fond memories of reading the book. Fellow, send along other literary recommendations any time, preferably those from the late middle school era. Anyone remember "Watership Down," about all those rabbits? There was one scene where a character says his "head was bitten off," meaning he received a dressing-down, but I thought he'd actually been decapitated, because, I mean, we're talking about rabbits here. Aren't they vicious killers? Anyway: "Anne," welcome back.

1:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! But where are the scapes with Fellow-ette in the frame?

6:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

they're in my private collection, that's where.

yo mike your game was tight in 6th grade! back then i was trying to impress 'em by throwing copies of that shitty-ass book "tuck everlasting" out the window.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites