Friday, June 30, 2006

Bragging Rights


Fellow-ette needs to take some time to CROW. Her life-partner is well on his way to his first byline in a national glossy, her brother absolutely destroyed that test of tests, the LSATS (and he also won a huge scholarship to study literature in Scotland), and her bloggin' buddies are taking the world of daily print journalism by storm. And we ain't talking about their campus daily, that old rag!


So yes, fellow-ette is swelled with pride. And she's said goodbye to her massive and nasty school in the Bronx, which ended with two crowning moments.
The first moment:
When one of her students came in on report card day and was told she passed the regents, the first thing she did was turn to her teacher and say "THANK YOU, MISS!"
She didn't say "yo, I rock," or "I'm the best." How un-teenagery can you get? Fellow-ette almost cried on the spot.
The second moment was a comment from her AP that a particularly humiliating encounter involving him, her classroom, and a deranged student hiding behind a portable white-board "made his memoirs."
Ok, I'm switching to first-person here to better express myself. So this was his final passive aggressive fuck-you, a pathetic reaction to my unceremonious departure, and you know, I hope my memoirs of my time in "the system" come out before his do. But I don't really care. Because as one of my students emailed me (and this is a direct quote):

"Ha! school is finnal [sic] over, which means one thing. FREEDOM!!!"

I couldn't agree more.


Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Darius said...

Great to have gotten past your first year. Tends to be the toughest. Never read the stats but 23 years in the public schools convinces me that's the year you're most likely not to make it through, so congatulations -

6:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites