Thursday, March 02, 2006

On the edge...

I wish I had triumphs to report, but not today. I am so exhausted that today I skipped my fecking ridiculous locker room circular 6R and sat in my room, staring at the information i had conjured up on my screen about withdrawing from NYCTF/ flunking out of grad school. It's funny that all my serious thoughts about quitting should come up now, after I've made it through 2/3 of the year, three of my four observations have been "S" and I have not called a dean into my room since the third week of school (but I should have so many times). And yet here I am, teetering on the brink. Not sure whether it's the extra hour in the afternoons, the indignity of locker room duty, the fact that several of my brightest students have become a nuisance, the return of bitter cold, or the fact that vacation reminded me what life is like when your day isn't a battle that begins at 6:30 a.m and doesn't end until you collapse in the late afternoon.

Do I sound cheerful enough? Sorry to bitch and moan... my grad school class has been surprisingly good for morale; a bunch of frustrated, angry, first-year teachers on the verge of giving up all together, cursing loudly, reveling in our bewilderment. I always leave feeling a little better.

so now that I've expostulated, here's a rundown of good/better/interesting occurrences:

*word on the street is that a huge number of veteran teachers are peacing from my HS.
*Several of my students responded excellently to today's essay prompt about Langston Hughes' poems.
*I saw Stephen Colbert last night last night. He was super hot and amazing! Thanks, pastyrussian.
*I dig the new pics on the facebook.(Who's the better linksman now, Spot-shaker?)
*My frosh are super cute. One of them , "J" as he likes to be called, reminded me of how angry I used to be with them all the time. I have to figure out what worked with them, what turned that crazy class into my mellowest, that I need to do with my sophomores, who have taken the opposite trajectory.


Looking forward to a weekend with the loved ones, fo sho.

/fellow-ette.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Zach said...

we got your back

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites