Thursday, January 05, 2006

DRUNKPOST 2006


MARGARITA SPECIAL

This is the beautiful substance, imbibed in a small but potent quantity, that is fueling tonight's educational musings. I hereby apologize for not only all of the typos in this posting, but in all other postings in this blog, as well as all past text-messages, instant-messages, voicemail messages and college or job applications.

Today's highlights included one of my love-hate students putting tape on my back, my entire 3/4th period class talking throughout the entire lord of the flies listening/reading, one of my smart freshwomen clamming up and refusing to do work because her classmates were being rude and not letting her read. Another freshman had to be dragged to my class by a snotty teacher who went to my rival college and also had a fling with a blood relative of mine (oh, the webs we weave), which was somewhat awkward.

Good things that happened? A favorite of mine, one who said it was nice how much i appreciated him, came back after a two-day absence, I actually killed some of my freshpeople with a joke that WAS NOT a crude imitation of their hood-talk. I gave one of my favorite girls "Matilda" to read and she is on page 53. She says that she's surprised by how different it is from the movie. Go figure. I amused my sleepy post-lunch sophomore crew with a story about me falling alseep in a fourteen-person seminar. True story, folks. I think I earned even less credibility as an authority, and more as a badass/friend figure (is that why five of my boys almost broke my school-issued computer with their frantic attempts to guess my password? "harrypotter" was the most original try.)

Well, with one day left I am considerably more relaxed. Earlier in the week, my AP was popping his head into my room constantly to check on the arrangement of my desks--updated during transit-strike down-time-- and has satisfied himself, so I'm less afeared of his presence.

Well, once more, that's all for now from this disillusioned young white liberal teacher in the ghetto. The burrito I ate, in company with my margartia and another young idealistic teacher who landed a job at an actually good school, is unfortunately giving me heartburn. I'm hoping that the booze in conjunction with my weariness will knock me out before the situation worsens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites