Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Donut holes...

Yeah...
These are what I fed my kids today, in honor of our long-awaited completion of Lord of The Flies. Don't know who was happier that we were done, me or they (or you, faithful reader?)




Today was one of those real rough ones... a day in which I decided that I could never do this for a second year. As per usual, itt wasn't because of my students. Au contraire...it was because of the hour-long delay on the 5 subway line due to fallen tree limbs... i had to clock in nearly an hour late, flustered, restless, rain-splattered. My AP spied the snacks and asked me what I was giving them food for, my room was chaotic enough.
BLAH. On days like this, I've learned that the best thing I can do is be kind to my students instead of trying to impose control/learning.
So instead of groans and complaints, one of my sometime-friend/sometime nemeses told me "Miss, your party was hot." Not a bad deal... and I rationalize it by saying that giving them unstructured time that's condoned and encouraged helps foster social skills and imagination (I actually think it does).

Tomorrow is essay-writing. They visibly blanched, but it's the most important thing we do. It gets them ready for the regents.

Good luck to all of us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites