Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Snarkified E-mail I sent to my CUNY-affiliated mentor

To: [redacted]
From [Fellow-ette]
Subject: your visit

Hi [Redacted]! Thanks for stopping by room [redacted] and your helpful comments. I have one quibble though.
On your comment sheet, you mentioned that I might have prepared my students for Bob Dylan by discussing Alicia Keys and Mary J. Blige with them. Although both of these ladies make excelllent pop-soul/R&B, they are pretty far from the protest tradition Dylan in his folk years embodied. Had I wanted to compare Dylan to social protest music more "relevant" to the students-- although I wonder if they needed that giving the compelling subject matter of "Hattie Carroll"--I would have played Talib Kweli, Lauryn Hill's unplugged album, classic Tupac, or even some underground hip-hop like Immortal Technique. But not Alicia Keys. Definitely not!

See you soon.

[fellow-ette]

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

altruism gone wild.
Add to Technorati Favorites